Tell the World

Oh, thank God—He's so good! His love never runs out. All of you set free by God, tell the world! Let the redeemed of the LORD say so...Psalm 107:2

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Investments

Several years ago, we were living in Kentucky with three small children, ages 6,3, and a baby. Life was as full as you can imagine, with a husband in seminary and doing a handful of odd jobs like bus driving, grounds keeping for the school district, mopping lunchrooms, or making sandwiches and culinary creations at the local coffee shop. While Todd was busy studying and working, I was equally as busy holding down the homefront. In addition to leading a large women's Bible study group, most waking hours were filled with helping one child learn to read and ride a bike, potty training a second, and nursing a third. I had few moments to myself to rest, read, pray, think, and reflect, aside from the early hours of the morning before the pitter patter of the kids' feet came running down the hallway. I'm not sure how it worked, but many times they knew I was awake, and they were quick to join me -- so no matter what time I set the alarm clock, their body clocks woke them up earlier too.

My parents came for a visit to our Kentucky home. We were so glad for the time shared together because it was such a rare treat. It was a seven hour drive back to Pittsburgh, and with three small children it wasn't a trip we made frequently. When Grandma and Grandad came, the kids pulled out the trains, the legos, games and art supplies, and filled every moment with fun. We visited apple orchards and pumpkin farms, or took a scenic drive to see the horse farms on the rolling hills of Kentucky.

I often cooked big meals for Mom and Dad when they came. It wasn't so much that I wanted to impress them; more so, I was just thankful for the helping hands with the kids so that I could be free to enjoy my kitchen. I love time "at table", as my dear friend Barbara calls it. It is precious time shared together, hearing stories, laughing at memories, or sharing hearts. A homemade meal, that can sometimes be given special care, invites you in to warmth and relationship. There is time to talk while making preparations for the meal, remembering years past when Mom used to cook for me and now I can return the gift. The kids run by, and I think how that used to be me; but here is Mom, visiting my kitchen and now I'm the Mom. Even squeezing into a small table, bumping elbows, and everyone eager to sit by Grandma and Grandad, all part of the warm memories. A great time of blessings, there at table.

We had a full day, a great meal shared together, and the kids were tucked sweetly into their beds. I was finishing up the dinner dishes and enjoying the quiet moment to catch my breath. My Dad came into the kitchen with his bright smile, that I was so glad to see. It was my turn now that the kids were in bed, since it is too hard for them to share Grandad while they are awake. My Dad loves to laugh and play hard, and then he likes to sleep hard. I remember many times that he would suddenly crash out on the floor and take a snooze. When we were eager for him to do something with us, we'd wonder if he could hear us talking and planning. Then just as still as ever, eyes still closed, he'd calmly say, "I'm just resting my eyes." Of course we knew better when his snores rattled the windows.

Dad is a financial guru. He loves numbers and accounting. He follows stocks more closely than I follow the weather to see what to dress our kids in. Dad comes for a visit, but he is quick to ask where our newspaper is or if we have internet. He can be present in the moment, enjoying life, laughter, or table, and then his memory is jarred that it has been a few hours since he last checked the stocks. With a compelling urgency, he goes to the paper, the internet, or if we didn't have either of those, he calls his 1-800 numbers for an update.

Dad is very wise and responsible with finances. He wanted to raise his daughters to be the same. From the time we were in ninth grade, we had to take a business class and learn how to reconcile our checkbooks. Money was a very serious matter, and yet it was something Dad has truly enjoyed tracking and keeping tabs on. So that night in Kentucky, his big smile welcomed me into this friendly conversation with my Dad. "So Julie....how are your investments doing?" He and Mom were gracious to get us started in some mutual funds that we could use towards our children's college education or our retirement. (Note that I said get us started...not that it would fully support us. Aw, nuts!) Like my parents, I take finances very seriously. There isn't a month I don't reconcile the checkbook to the penny. I track all of our spending and itemize receipts. I was quick to reply to Dad's question, however, by saying, "They are doing great, Dad... I think they are asleep in their rooms!!" He gave his warm, familiar chuckle and said, "okay, point well taken..."

Investments. What we give our heart and passion to, and what takes priority in our day. People more than things. Relationships more than to-do lists. Things that last and not things that fade away. Giving our all to the things that matter the most brings the greatest return. "Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." Luke 6:38

"Give away your life; you'll find life given back, but not merely given back—given back with bonus and blessing. Giving, not getting, is the way. Generosity begets generosity." The Message

1 Comments:

At 12:05 PM, Blogger Todd M said...

What a great post, Julie! A wonderful reminder of always following our "God call," not the world's call. Thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home