Tell the World

Oh, thank God—He's so good! His love never runs out. All of you set free by God, tell the world! Let the redeemed of the LORD say so...Psalm 107:2

Monday, November 06, 2006

Following Him

I started the day with my quiet time, but it was too quickly followed by too many things I'd like to get done, juggling my list of priorities. What if God came to me and said, "Today, I want you to...." would I tell Him I'd squeeze that in if I could find the time? My idea of success is often marked by productivity. If I got a lot done in the day, that was a good day. God's idea of success is marked by obedience. Not results. Laying down my life, surrendering to His lordship.

Is it my day or His?

We sing at church, "Everyday, it's You I live for, everyday I'll follow after You..." While that is my heart, my desire, is that my reality? Following Him, not having Him accompany me. Not just daily, but moment by moment, aware of His presence and His leading.

I'm afraid my determination can be so focused on what I want to do that I have a harder time allowing Him to redirect my steps. It is a process of learning to stretch out my quiet times to be more of my day than just my study time. Sometimes I'm aware that He is with me, giving me the strength or grace or love that I need to serve Him, but I get out of step with Him when I put a higher priority on getting something done than I do on hearing Him in the midst of it.

"If we are living now by the Holy Spirit, let us follow the Holy Spirit's leading in every part of our lives." Galatians 5:25 NLT

Maybe it is just being aware of where my way is trying to trump God's way. Ridiculous thought. And yet I do it. Am I stubborn for my own goals or agendas or am I ready to respond with obedience to even His slightest prompting?

"Since this is the kind of life we have chosen, the life of the Spirit, let us make sure that we do not just hold it as an idea in our heads or a sentiment in our hearts, but work out its implications in every detail of our lives." (Galatians 5:25, The Message)

Teach me, Lord. I want to live this day for You. Help me to follow You, even in the little things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home