Tell the World

Oh, thank God—He's so good! His love never runs out. All of you set free by God, tell the world! Let the redeemed of the LORD say so...Psalm 107:2

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Surrender

I'm giving You my heart -- All that is within -- I lay it all down for the sake of You my King. I'm giving You my dreams, laying down my rights, I'm giving up my pride for the promise of new life.

And I Surrender -- All to You, all to You

I'm singing You this song -- I'm waiting at the Cross -- All the world holds dear, I count it all as loss -- for the sake of knowing You, for the glory of Your name, to know the lasting joy, even sharing in Your pain.

lyrics by Marc James

I find myself listening to songs about surrender when there is something that is hard for me to yield to God. I know in faith that He has the best plan in mind, full of purpose and abundant life. In my weak skin, though, it is hard to yield and trust Him with whatever He wants to do. Sensing this was pathetic of me (who am I to doubt my Maker?), I asked Him once for a word picture of what I was doing. What came to mind is that I'm gripping McDonald's with all I've got while He has a banqueting table waiting for me. I'm not even that fond of McD's, but it hit home with me. Why do I hold onto what I think I want, when I could exchange it for His best?

I believe that part of being intimate with God is sharing our hearts with Him -- what we're thinking about, what we hope for, things we ponder or wonder about. I try to do that, and end it with "yet not my will, but Yours be done." At times we wrestle or we hurt, but ultimately we yield and we love. That's the only way I know to live out an authentic faith.

I sat in church a few weeks ago and heard God's voice speak so clearly I had to write it down. It cut straight to the core of me. Here is what I heard Him speak in my heart: "you’re shooting way too low…giving up on Me??? Letting your dreams die?" I know God can do anything, but maybe I was shooting too low by thinking His plan wouldn't be anything I had hoped for. While His plan ultimately isn't about me, He does have a fierce love for His children and delights in giving them good gifts (see Matthew 7:11). I want to embrace Him and what He has for me, even if He leads in a direction that isn't my preference. I want to praise Him because He is worthy, before the answer I've been waiting for comes. I want Him to have my love and my heart, even when I can't see much past what is right in front of me. All of Him for all of me.

"God's will is always best even when we cannot imagine how. Surrendering to His will does not mean you lose. Ultimately, it means you win. God does not want you to feel defeated when you realize He's overruled a desire of your heart. God is not asking you to give up. He's leading you to give over. Keep hanging on to that rope and let Him pull you over to His side. One day you'll understand. And you'll see His glory" (Beth Moore, To Live is Christ).

1 Comments:

At 4:36 PM, Blogger Bundle of Paradoxes said...

It's hard for me to remember that God delights in giving his children good things. I think I'd ask more often if I could get that through my head.

Thanks for the post Julie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home