Tell the World

Oh, thank God—He's so good! His love never runs out. All of you set free by God, tell the world! Let the redeemed of the LORD say so...Psalm 107:2

Friday, January 12, 2007

Taking Steps

Things don't have to be grand to celebrate them. We are a family who celebrates all kinds of things -- from the end of camp, to the start of school, to the start of Christmas vacation, to a football game on t.v., to any milestone we can think of to celebrate. We look at celebrations, even simple ones, as a pause to say thank you to God for His goodness and blessing. We have appetizer night or game night or go out to eat or ice cream. At birthdays and anniversaries we hang up a wall full of photos that journal out years past. We mark the occasion by conversations of memories and hearts of praise.

I like what Richard Foster has to say about celebrations in his book Celebrations of Discipline. He writes, "God's normal means of bringing His joy is by redeeming and sanctifying the ordinary junctures of human life. Celebration comes when the common ventures of life are redeemed." He adds, "If we fill our lives with simple good things and constantly thank God for them, we will be joyful, that is, full of joy."

So here I am, in all of its simplicity, celebrating. I'm finding the joy in taking steps. I'm excited about a few resolutions I've made this year to improve my health. What thrills me the most is that they are realistic goals that I believe will make a difference. I could dream up some ideals but never obtain them, or I can give some signposts that I can actually celebrate.

Here are a few: I'm a horrible drinker. I normally have about a glass of water a day...maybe. When Noah was at camp, he bought his mom and dad a cool water bottle that holds 32 oz. I'm drinking at least that much water every day. Some say you need twice that, but I'm starting somewhere.

Sorry if it sounds pathetic, but I'm also an awful athlete. There are times the most exercise I would get would be carrying the laundry up and down the stairs...until I realized the boys can help with that and save me the energy. I still trek across the superWalmart, and often forget something in one aisle and have to go clear to the other end, so that counts for some sort of exercise maybe.

In the past I've enjoyed aerobics or walking, but I'm awful with consistency. It has probably been at least ten years since I've done aerobics and my walking goes in spurts. I'm a fair weather walker -- it can't be too hot, too cold, too rainy, too humid, too early or too late. But alas, I've found the goal that works for me: Take a walk every day.

Sometimes it is just the getting started that is the hardest. Some days I need the grace that says it is okay to walk for a shorter time tonight. What freedom to feel like that's okay. I'm now enjoying my walks so much more. Lily is thrilled to walk every day, which we used to do when she was a younger pup but have gotten away from. Now regardless of the weather, I just do it -- bundle up with scarves or hats or umbrellas, whatever I need -- and I really enjoy just getting the fresh air. I've also started aerobics up again, and I'm working to get some consistency going there. But it's a start.

Taking steps in the right direction. We don't have to be so driven that we fall apart in exasperation. What freedom and grace there is to just do the next right thing! As God brings an area of our life into the light, He can bring wholeness and change. Our lives will be transformed. I believe it does our hearts some good to celebrate those changes.

2 Comments:

At 9:33 AM, Blogger Lisa M said...

Julie - sounds like you are doing some great things to improve your health. I am so like you as far as drinking water. The funny thing was that after I read your blog post I glanced at a book that Todd had ordered called "The 7 Pillars of Health". It is a book that is meant to be read in 50 days with daily readings. Being the overachiever :) that I am, I decided to read day 2 - WATER. It was amazing some of the facts that were listed there as to what drinking the right amount of water can do for your body. It helps brain, heart, and kidney function. It helps to keep joints lubricated, and many many other things. It said that you should divide your weight in half and drink that many ounces a day. UGH - I think I would float away.

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Julie R. said...

Lisa,
My mom had read a lot about water also, and told me how extremely important it is to good health. I was telling her about some different symptoms I had at the time, and she said it sounded like I was dehydrated. My dad teaches tennis and he says that if you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated. You have to drink before you are thirsty to stay on top of it. Interesting!

Blessings!
Julie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home