Tell the World

Oh, thank God—He's so good! His love never runs out. All of you set free by God, tell the world! Let the redeemed of the LORD say so...Psalm 107:2

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Surgery

Love is a verb. Especially this week, we are seeing this one lived out in our home. We are both the givers and the receivers of love in tangible ways.

Emma had surgery to remove her tonsils and adenoids. Todd, Emma, and I arrived at Children's Hospital by 7 am. to get her admitted. Todd is definitely the morning person in our house. When we stepped up to the desk, they had those beeper things that light up like they have at restaurants. My charming husband said, "Table for three please." It warmed my heart and I was so glad to have him there with us. It makes such a difference to me when he is close by.

The staff at the hospital took great care of Emma. They gave her a new Care Bear coloring book and crayons when she arrived. How bad could this be if they are willing to give such gifts? There were so many that came in with their specific thing to do -- I wouldn't be surprised if there were a dozen or more caring for her. Each one was intentionally being tender with her.

I think when we look for touches of God's grace in our day, we find Him. The man who came to draw blood was so joyful and kind. He saw Emma's name on the door and said, "Emma Grace! What a beautiful name! Do you have a sister named Amazing?" I don't know if she got his joke or not, but it was just kind of funny to me. His tray was covered in Veggie Tales and when he left, he gave Emma a whole stack of stickers (Dora, Barbie, Princesses, Scooby Doo, animals...).

This wing of the hospital for outpatient surgeries had a travel theme. There were maps and countries and cities everywhere. Guess which room God picked out for us? Pittsburgh!!! It was so fun to show Emma where Grandad used to work, the old Three Rivers Stadium, the Point, the Science Center. It was just fun to have that connection, and I couldn't help but think God gave us this reminder of His presence in the details.

Every step of the surgery process requires a lot of encouragement to our little patient. While she is very brave, she also doesn't hesitate to tell you she doesn't want to do something. Color in my new coloring book or sit and watch t.v.? No problem. Stick my finger or make me put on that hospital gown? No way!

There's something about seeing your little baby in a hospital bed and having so many staff working on her. You know in your head that this is a routine surgery and she will be fine. But you also know how hard it is for her to go through, how scared she is, the pain she will feel, and her mama can't help but be a bit weepy. "Hold onto me, mama....come with me, mama..." There's no other place I'd be...until I have to let go. Every time we heard wheels coming down the hallway, we looked up hoping to see her. When she finally came back to us, they told us how great she did. Then her tears came. I came close and wiped her tears, played with her hair and caressed her forehead. In that moment I would have done anything in the world to help her.

For all the busyness of life and caring for a full household, everything stops in my heart for my baby who needs me. She has my full attention. There is sudden simplicity in putting everything aside but the essentials. There is constant care in giving TLC, encouragement, hugs and snuggles, medicine, sherbet, and lots of fluids. Constantly checking what time it is, what medicine is needed, counting up to 13 times a day she was dosed with something. There is nothing I'd rather do than give Emma that constant care, and yet it also puts us in a place of exhaustion and need.

How grateful we are for the body of Christ, friends and family who have loved on us through phone calls, e-mails, dinners and most of all prayers. We have seen love lived out through the tangible things that have reminded us we aren't alone. God's love pours out through you all, and fills us up to pour love out on Emma.

Isn't that the beautiful way He made us to care for each other? It is an incredible responsibility we have to reach out, and it results in great joy.

God uses challenging places to teach us how to care for others in challenging places. If you've never been through it, you have no idea what a difference it makes to have someone be there. But once you have had to go through something --- not just surgery, but any hard season --- you can't help but care for someone else you see going through the same thing. Your heart immediately goes to them, and connects you to your own experience where you felt need. It is one of the amazing ways God redeems our hard places for the good of others.

God I praise You for bringing us through and for working in such beautiful ways.

3 Comments:

At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post babe! You put the whole experience beautifully into words. My only question is--are you sure there isn't a soft spot in your heart for the Burgh? You talk about it with such love....

Love you Julie!

Todd

 
At 6:28 AM, Blogger Bundle of Paradoxes said...

Julie,

The posts are great and I enjoy reading them. Keep 'em coming!

I'm glad the surgery went according to plan and Emma's home safe.

 
At 10:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just cried all the way through your post! I've lived through it, and can identify with all your feelings.
A lady in our church brought chicken soup and orange juice over yesterday because she heard we had sick kids. How thoughtful!
I especially love the part about the Pittsburgh room--God is so good. And you are so right about how we just have to open our eyes to his little love notes all around us!
With prayers,
Charity

 

Post a Comment

<< Home