Tell the World

Oh, thank God—He's so good! His love never runs out. All of you set free by God, tell the world! Let the redeemed of the LORD say so...Psalm 107:2

Friday, June 22, 2007

Believe

The moon disappeared. I'm not kidding, for about two weeks, I never saw the moon. I'm sure there were clouds covering it, or it was a new moon, or some other logical explanation. I had grown accustomed to seeing it, even savoring it as a symbol of a promise (see previous post on The Moon), and being reconnected with my Maker as I walked Lily at night. Obviously I know that the moon really didn't fall out of the sky, but how much do our hearts feel that way when it seems that a promise really isn't going to be fulfilled? Have you ever had to wait longer than you thought you ever could? Ever get discouraged?

I kind of imagined a chat with me and God as I walked, with no moon in sight. "Yes, Lord, I know the moon is still there...even though I have no clue where You are hiding it!!!" or how about, "Are You really going to hide the moon from me to prove Your point -- that Your promise is still sure even though it feels further away (more impossible) than ever???" Night after night, I told Him, "Come on, Lord!!!! Where is it????" and "Again Lord??? Still???" And it is as if I knew the answer, so certain. "It's still there, Julie. You can count on it."

I'm thankful for a friend's post that got me digging in some favorite verses that God apparently knew I needed to hear. I posted a comment, but even as I began digging to find the verses that were on my heart, I sensed that God was saying, "Julie, these are for you...."

So keep up your courage, men, for I have faith in God that it will happen just as He told me. Acts 27:25

I tell you this now, before it happens, so that when it does happen you may believe that I am He. John 13:19

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Every word of God proves true. He is a shield to all who come to Him for protection. Proverbs 30:5

It's hard to open our hearts up to believe what feels impossible at the time. We look at our circumstances to determine if something seems real or probable. We tune into what our hearts feel, if we sense courage and determination or wavering and doubt. Our faith can only remain steady and sure as we focus on Him instead.

What is interesting to me, though, is that He allows us to wander a bit in our doubt. God knows that He is steady and sure, and doesn't need our faith to keep it that way. He is who He is. Maybe the process of doubt brings us to a firmer place of faith. We work it through and come out realizing He was true all along and we appreciate Him all the more.

Look at the life of Abraham as it unfolds in the book of Genesis. First he was called and blessed (ch 12). Then God clarified more of the specifics (ch 13). Abraham questioned it (ch 15). Abraham and Sarah came up with their own plan because the wait was getting too long (ch 16). God reaffirmed His original call and plan (ch 18). Years passed, and further down the road in chapter 21, the child of promise, Isaac, was born -- just as God said.

God is so gracious. He knew that Abraham needed reassurance. He needed to hear that God hadn't forgotten His word to him. He even gave him a tangible reminder. "He took him outside and said, "Look up at the heavens and count the stars -- if indeed you can count them." Then he said to him, "So shall your offspring be."Genesis 15:5 God didn't expect Abraham to get it all the first time around. He reminded him of those stars in Genesis 22 and 26 too.

How precious that God knows us, loves us, and He understands. We wonder, we waver, we doubt, we are weak, and yet He delights in our humanity. God stays steady and sure. He reaffirms, reassures, not grudgingly -- but full of love and grace.

"Though you have not seen Him, you love Him; and even though you do not see Him now, you believe in Him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy..."1 Peter 1:8

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home